Tuesday 22 October 2013

Mood Swings: Why I want to take my pen and stab myself!



Okay, so from about April of this year my writing went into full swing. I opened up the Word program on the laptop and ever since I've been writing everyday.

How obsessed I am with it is starting to alarm me as I've even appointments just to stay home and do it.

I just love writing. I get so lost in it. I start to believe my plots and get angry at my characters for doing things I forced them to do.

Of course what I'm going through in my everyday life affects my writing, but I'm finding that my writing is actually affecting my mood greatly.

I'm a frantic editor. I feel like no matter how much I read and re-read my work I always have some form of mistake or error - or a hundred errors that still appear there no matter how many times I've checked and re-checked! 

Sometimes I absolutely love my work, I adore it. I find what I've written or the idea I've had so compelling I can't stop re-reading it or talking about it to the one person who is closest to me. I love my overall story and concept.

Then I'll start from the beginning and re-read from chapter one. As I'm reading I slowly start to become dejected and suddenly I hate this damn trash I wrote! I go out and read the published work of other authors and feel like my work is a child's finger painting trying to stand out in a world of Picassos.

I have put my novels in a USB, and by now I can't count how many times I've thrown that thing into a cupboard, out a window or across the room. It's even come on a journey with me where I had meant to throw it in a public trash can, but after getting talked of the ledge I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Not only that, but my first novel got scrapped four times before I had the final story that I'm rigorously working on. I wrote 80,000 words then tossed it. 60,000 then deleted it. 100,000 words then started again. The last word count before getting canned was 63,000. Even though I like the shape of how the first novel starts now it still is never good enough! I loved the direction my second book took, but then the third book took the same fate of the first and is on it's third re-write.

I feel mental. I feel like a nut case. I feel like what I'm writing is useless and what I'm doing is hopeless.

Why am I writing this junk? Why am I doomed to be the only person who finds this interesting? Why do I waste so much of my life on it? Why can I not bring myself to stop?

I'm in a negative space right now, and I'm wondering if I'm the only one. How do people deal with this sort of thing, and does anyone have any advice for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment